It seems this blog is now relegated to a single weekly post. I’ve been very careful in not making excess usage of the permitted net limit and ALSO trying my best to make the kids understand my need to blog from home. Surprisingly, they just don’t like to see me sitting at the laptop and not so surprisingly, I don’t mind their resentment. I haven’t done any post from home for the last 5 months 😀
Anyhow, I have all these random things I want to talk about, but not enough time to do a full post on it. So I’ll just jot them down here in no particular order :-
1) Its that time of the year again!! I mean, if someone were to hand me a negative probe in my left hand and a positive probe in my right, I’m sure the bulb at the end of the probes would glow bright as the morning sun! I’m practically sizzling with electricity. Everything I touch gives out a spark ! Yesterday morning was the limit! Shobs was happily chattering about how to feed his father to the big-bad-wolf and I couldn’t help thinking how cute he looked. So I extended a finger to caress his soft cheek. CRRRACKK!! Not only was the spark audible, it was also visible! Shobs, who was stunned into silence, just gave me a sad baleful look. “Did it hurt?” I asked him apprehensively. He nodded in the affirmative ! EGAD!! The one thing I always feared came true 😦 I’ve always known that I’m a good conductor of electricity…and I always feared that I might hurt my kids because of it. Till date I was always careful…but my little slip this morning has made my son jittery of touching me 😦 . What do I do now?? Does wearing cotton gloves help??
2) We went to see the prospective girl’s family last Saturday. I think in our exuberance at finally finding someone for the BIL, we might have missed out on some of the minor glitches from our side. Like the fact that the BIL is a tad over-weight. Ummm…make that more than a tad 😦 . It didn’t help at all that EVERYONE from the girl’s side was reed thin. All the men that is. Her sister was a different matter…but then, the sister had delivered a baby a couple of months back, so she can be excused.
Anyhow, they were a little disappointed (?) on seeing the BIL’s large frame and became reclusive. How else could you explain the fact that we stayed there just over an hour’s time when it took us 3 hours to reach there in the first place! BUT….They served us some really tasty dinner for which we were more than grateful :). As for the BIL, he’s a little disappointed. The meeting didn’t go as expected and though he tried not to show it, we could see that he was hurt 😦 . “Oh well”, said the BF when I mentioned the BIL’s sad demeanor, “a little heartbreak wouldn’t kill him”. I still find it hard to believe that this guy had a love marriage. Heartbreak doesn’t kill? Yeah right! Talk to all those guys jumping off cliffs and consuming not so healthy potions to prove their love!
3) I read Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni’s “Arranged Marriage”. What a collection!! This lady has a spell-binding effect on her readers (or me , at least). Un-put-down-able! Thats what I think about the collection. And the story called “Ultrasound” must have been the starting point of the other two books, Sister of My Heart and Vines of Desire, both which I have read and possess 🙂 . And oh, I’ve also bought Palace of Illusions, so that now my book shelf looks like a dedication to Ms.CBD 🙂
4) I GOT MY LEARNERS!!! I mean, so what if an average American kid gets it at half my age….point of the matter is that I can legally drive around in our car (that is, if the BF lets me touch it , which he is reluctant to do till date). “Pay the driving school a thousand more and continue practicing on their cars”, he says before swinging the car keys on his index finger and sashaying out the front door. Hmmpphh!! Time for me to start saving for the car I now MUST purchase (at any cost) if I have to prevent my driving skills from getting rusty!! As for the twin’s college fund, lets just say, I’ll let them do their Bachelor’s in Arts ,not because it is the cheapest course (well, mayyybe that too) but because they have some real skills in the art department 😛 .
5) Yesterday was a shocker ! No nanny, no maid, no cook and worst of all, no MIL!! I groaned audibly when the MIL informed me of the state of events before she left for a wedding. She was sorry about the whole situation and asked the BF to assist me. The BF indeed helped me, by bathing the twins and taking only 45 minutes to complete the task, by the end of which, he was too exhausted to lift a finger, except maybe to switch channels!
Surprisingly, I spent more time in the kitchen yesterday than I would have otherwise had to. I just made lunch in the morning, rest of the work was done in the evening. I churned butter, made ghee, spent a large amount of time grinding all the necessary pastes (ginger-garlic, coconut, green-chilli, etc), made dinner, washed utensils, clothes, tended to the GMIL and kept an eye on the kids. And I did all this with a contentment I rarely feel anymore. I mean, the same tasks which seem like a burden at any other time, were actually calming and therapeutic in their ordinary-ness. Peeling garlic, stirring the ghee, shouting out threats to the kids…..I never thought I would be smiling to myself as I knead dough for cabbage-parathas at 11 in the night 😀 . So yeah, the shocker was that I had to do EVERYTHING by myself and surprisingly, I enjoyed doing it all. So yeah again, no rant this Monday morning 🙂
6) HAPPY CHILDREN’S DAY !! Though, for the life of me, I cant figure out why it has to be on the 14th of Nov! I mean Chachu Nehru and all that him-loving-kids story is all bunkum. Sure we were made to mug up all those tales in school….but I doubt anyone, anyone believed in it. The other story, the one about children’s day coming exactly 9 months after Valentine’s Day, now that one made more sense 😐 . Or maybe, we just lost our innocence too soon 😦 . Whatever the case, I forgot it was Children’s day today. When I called up home in the afternoon, got to know that the kids got chocolates at school. Good for them…. One more reason to love school 🙂 .
Thats all for now…maybe I’ll do a meaningful post once I get a little break from the hectic routine at work.
Till then, Ciao 🙂